By Robert M. Schuler
Of curiosity to interdisciplinary historians in addition to these in a number of different fields, this publication provides the 1st e-book of 14 poems starting from 12 to 3,000 traces. The poems are revealed within the chronological order in their composition, from Elizabethan to Augustan occasions, yet 9 of them are verse translations of works from previous sessions within the improvement of alchemy. every one has a textual and old creation and explanatory notice by way of the Editor. Renaissance alchemy is stated as an incredible point within the histories of early smooth technology and medication. This ebook emphasises those poems’ expression of and shaping impression on spiritual, social and political values and associations in their time too and is an invaluable reference paintings with a lot to provide for cultural reports and literary reviews in addition to technological know-how and historical past.
Read Online or Download Alchemical Poetry, 1575-1700: From Previously Unpublished Manuscripts PDF
Similar renaissance books
The startling fact at the back of essentially the most infamous dynasties in background is published in a striking new account by means of the acclaimed writer of The Tudors and a global Undone. Sweeping apart the gossip, slander, and distortion that experience shrouded the Borgias for hundreds of years, G. J. Meyer deals an exceptional portrait of the notorious Renaissance family members and their storied milieu.
Content material: bankruptcy 1 Paradise misplaced: Poem or “Problem“? (pages 1–22): bankruptcy 2 God, devil, and Adam (pages 23–42): bankruptcy three Eden (pages 43–61): bankruptcy four the autumn (pages 63–84):
- The Rhetoric of the Body from Ovid to Shakespeare
- The Persian Empire in English Renaissance Writing, 1549–1622
- New Consciousness for a New World: How to Thrive in Transitional Times and Participate in the Coming Spiritual Renaissance
- Geoffrey Chaucer: The Critical Heritage Volume 1 1385-1837
- The Secret Tradition in Alchemy: Its Development and Records
Extra info for Alchemical Poetry, 1575-1700: From Previously Unpublished Manuscripts
Ashmole certainly knew of Backhouse's translations (ca. 21 Lullian paraphrase, a purely gratuitous addition). 20They are "The Argument of Morien and Merlin" (Ashmole prints only vv. 77-94 and 100-114 of its 370 lines); "The Working of the Phylozophers stone" (169 lines); and "The Marrow or Pithe of Alkymy," by William Bollose (19 stanzas of rhymeroyal, in six MSS). Some of these may date from after 1500, but only the first has been published (by F. Sherwood Taylor, Chymia 1 : 23-35). Other unprinted Middle English texts range in length from four to twenty-one lines.
W. Carew Hazlitt. 1875. Repr. New York, 1968. lv Bibliography Rattansi, P. M. " Ambix 12 (1964): 1-23. Read, John. Prelude to Chemistry: An Outline of Alchemy. 2nd ed. 1939. Repr. , 1966. William Davidson of Aberdeen. Aberdeen University Studies, no. 129. Aberdeen, 1951. Rulandus, Martinus, the elder. A Lexicon of Alchemy [Lexicon Alchemiae, 1612]. Trans. Arthur Edward Waite. 1893. Repr. London, 1964. , ed. Three Renaissance Scientific Poems. Texts and Studies, Studies in Philology 75 (1978). _ _ _ _ _ _ .
272. London, 1975. Pagel, Walter. Paracelsus: An Introduction to Philosophical Medicine in the Era of the Renaissance. New York, 1958. Panofsky, Erwin. Studies in Iconology. 1939. Repr. New York, 1962. Paracelsus. The Hermetic and Alchemical Writings. Trans. Edward Waite. 1894. Repr. , 1967. " In Literature and the English Civil War, ed. Thomas Healy and Jonathan Sawday, 38-55. Cambridge, 1990. Patai, Raphael. " Ambix 29 (1982): 177-97. Pernety, Antoine-Joseph. Dictionnaire Mytho-Hermetique. 1758.